Rae Lee Siporin Scholarship for Women
2021 Recipients: Kiva Munn, Martiza Sanchez & Christianna Wilson
The Rae Lee Siporin Scholarship for Women will make awards to women who previously withdrew from their studies and are returning to complete their senior year in college/university. This program is intended to give women financial assistance to successfully complete their senior year and graduate after having taken a break(s) in their educational career.
Rae Lee Siporin is a first-generation college graduate. She firmly believes that women need extra support to pursue their educational goals and to that end has started several funds to support women through various organizations, including Albuquerque Community Foundation. She started her fund with the Foundation to help support women in Albuquerque and throughout New Mexico.
Rae’s experiences as a woman whose scholastic goals were devalued fueled her passion for education. She vividly recalls her ninth-grade homeroom teacher, the school coach, kindly letting her know that boys do nott like girls who are good at math or science. Her teacher indicated that perhaps she should not let on that she had strong skills in these areas. This sentiment was later reinforced when Rae was told by an aunt that she could now get a job and help her family after finishing her bachelor’s degree, despite Rae’s desire to continue her education. These experiences only further motivated Rae Lee to support women in their educational goals, and she is proud to help remove barriers for so many in her community.
One to two awards up to $1,000 will be given annually.
Criteria and Guidelines:
Applicant must be a female, New Mexico resident who:
- has completed her freshman, sophomore and junior years of college
- is returning to college to complete her senior year
- has taken an official break during her educational career
- will attend a New Mexico college or university for a minimum of one semester during the 2021-202 school year
- will be a full time or part time student for the 2021-2022 school year
- is able to demonstrate graduation within three semesters (explain in essay). What is your graduation plan?
- can demonstrate financial need (preference will be given to these applicants)
- submit official transcripts from every college attended
- does not already have a bachelor’s degree
Thursday, July 15th, 2021 at 5:00pm MT