Trythall Family Scholarship for Excellence in Continuing Education
2020 Recipient: Kiva Munn
The Trythalls owned a New Mexico staffing company for 43 years and encountered many goal-driven employees who were struggling to work and support a family while returning to school part-time to either complete a degree they left behind years ago or begin their education journey.
They established their scholarship fund in 1989 with the purpose of assisting these individuals in the pursuit of excellence while maintaining a career. The scholarship is to assist older, non-traditional students who have taken the initiative to reach for a goal, demonstrated a commitment to the goal by maintaining a minimum 2.8 GPA and who need assistance to continue in the pursuit of that goal.
Total of $3,000 annually. One to two recipients may be selected.
Past recipients may re-apply to compete for an award the following year. The same recipient is limited to three awards.
Applicants must reside or work in one of the following counties where the Trythalls had their business.
- Santa Fe
- 25 years of age or older
- Regularly working a minimum of 20 hours a week while simultaneously attending school. Summer jobs, if not attending school, do not count
- 2.8 minimum GPA
- Must be studying the fields the Trythall’s staffing company focused on. These include: Healthcare, Education, Science (not a social science), Engineering, Mathematics, Accounting, Finance or Computer Science
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree from an accredited institution. Master’s degree or beyond do not qualify
- Completed a minimum of 12 credit hours in your declared major
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Although not required, volunteer and community service history is encouraged and will be taken into consideration
- Current Transcripts
- Resume including if applicable volunteer and community service
- Letter to the committee – including personal and professional goals, financial need, reasoning behind selection of major, personal conquests most proud of and most pressing challenges today
- Letter of recommendation from current employer to include current work schedule and average weekly hours worked during the current/last school term
- Please include the template provided by the Foundation for verification from the payroll department to confirm hours worked during the last/current school term. Click here for template.