Hakes Brothers Scholarship
2021 Recipient: Alicetina Hosteen
The Hakes Brothers Scholarship Fund was established in 2021 by Hakes Brothers, LLC, a home building company located in New Mexico. Owned by brothers, Kimball, Chris and Josh, Hakes Brothers provides its family of customers with supreme value in homeownership. Founded in 2006, Hakes Brothers has grown to become the largest home builder based in New Mexico. Building in both New Mexico and Texas, they have helped over 2,500 families select and enjoy the home that best fits their lifestyle.
With education at the forefront of the company’s mission and vision, several employees have benefited from student aid in order to complete their college degrees, which is why the Hakes brothers chose to focus their philanthropic efforts in scholarships for students.
The Hakes Brothers scholarship will award two $6,000 scholarships to students attending the University of New Mexico. Awards will be made to a single parent, actively parenting, and studying within the fields of science, technology, engineering, math (STEM), medical, accounting and/or other similar career-related field of study.
- Applicant must be New Mexico resident
- Applicant must be attending University of New Mexico (all branch campuses included)
- Applicant must be studying within the fields of science, technology, engineering, math (STEM), medical, accounting and/or other similar career-related field of study
- Applicant must demonstrate a passion for learning and pursuing a life dream, professionally or educationally, despite life challenges
- Applicant will preferably have some community service in the form of volunteerism & show a commitment to pursuing a secondary education
- Applicant must be a single parent, actively parenting
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need
- The Hakes Brothers scholarship application must be completed by the designated deadline provided by the Foundation
- Student may submit a personal essay describing dreams, goals and life challenges – include how those challenges and/or adversities have shaped their life and how it will help with the achievement of dreams and goals
- Student is encouraged to include their plans after college graduation and why this scholarship will be important to their success
- Two references:
- One from a teacher, counselor or coach who has supported the student during their education
- One from a community member or mentor who has supported the student during their education
- Current Transcripts and Resume
- Copy of Student Aid Report and EFC (Estimated Family Contribution)