2021 Recipients: Victoria Crespin, Lacey Griego, Miranda Tom
Established in 2019, the Davis-Kozoll Scholarship is for students seeking a higher education for the following purposes:
Student may pursue a master’s, bachelor’s or associate degree in a science and/or human service discipline without consideration of planned career location OR ALTERNATIVELY student may pursue a degree or technical or vocational certificate or diploma for use in any planned trade or career in a northwest NM community.
Major Examples (But NOT Limited To):
- Public Health
- Social Work
- Earth Science
- Computer Science
Award will be made to students residing in northwest New Mexico with a priority for those students residing within the communities of Counselor, Cuba, Gallina, La Jara, Lindrith, Lybrook, Nageezi, Ojo Encino, Regina, San Luis and Torreon.
Scholarships can be renewed annually with evidence of successful completion of course work and continued enrollment. Awards will support tuition, living, required class supplies and fee expenses.
One to two awards of $1,000 to $5000 will be given annually.
**Applicant may be required to attend an interview during final round of decisions.**
Criteria and Guidelines
- Applicant must be a resident of northwest New Mexico.
- Preference will be given to students who reside in or near the following communities: Counselor, Cuba, Gallina, La Jara, Lindrith, Lybrook, Nageezi, Ojo Encino, Regina, San Luis or Torreon
- Applicant must be a senior in high school
- Applicant may pursue a master’s, bachelor’s or associate degree in a science and/or human service discipline without consideration of planned career location
- OR ALTERNATIVELY
- Applicant may pursue a degree or technical or vocational certificate or diploma for use in any planned trade or career in a northwest New Mexico community
- Applicant may attend an accredited 4-year educational institution, 2-year community college, or technical or vocational program.
- Applicant must have a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Personal essay must explain your interest in your chosen course of study and how obtaining a higher education will support personal employment or career goals. Also include the following answers in your essay:
- Why are you going to college, community college or trade school?
- Why are you interested in the studies you have chosen to pursue in college, community college or trade school?
- Any unusual challenges you are facing in continuing your education?
- How will you give back to the community after graduation?
- How will you maximize your college education to help others or your community after graduation?
- One Letter of Recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, school administrator or other person familiar with your academic achievement and educational aspirations.
- Professional Student Resume
- Include your high school activities, awards, honors, community service, employment, internships
- Include the number of years of participation and any office or position held for each activity listed
- Any other high school documents you would like to provide.