Vice President of Philanthropic Advising
Juaquin is the founding Executive Director of Horizons Albuquerque, a nonprofit transformative, tuition-free educational program that serves students from low-income families on the campuses of Bosque School, Manzano Day School, and Sandia Prep School. He brings previous college admission, teaching, and directing experience as the creator of Bosque School’s College Counseling program.
A native of New Mexico who attended Corrales Elementary School, Taylor Middle School, and Sandia Prep School before leaving New Mexico to attend and graduate from Wesleyan University, CT, Juaquin is a respected leader in the community. He is on the Council of the Hispano Philanthropic Society and in recognition of his outstanding college counseling, he received the Yale Educator of the Year Award. Most recently, Juaquin was awarded the Albuquerque Business First Diversity Leader Award and selected as one of the 40 Under Forty honorees. He was also selected as a Líderes Fellow with Hispanics In Philanthropy and received the Horizons National Leader of the Year Award.
- Red or green? I love both red and green chile, but not together.
- Mountain or River? The two go together in my mind.
- Comedy Club or Dance Club? Dance club for sure!
- Hometown: Albuquerque
- High School Mascot: Sundevil
- If you could have lunch with anyone alive or dead, who would it be? Maria Hinojosa, Mexican-American Journalist.
- If you didn’t work for the Foundation, where would you work? Horizons Albuquerque
- Name three songs you would include on your soundtrack of life:Billie Holiday’s “When You’re Smiling”, OneRepublic’s “I Lived”, and DJ Khaled and Beyoncé · Jay-Z “Shining”
- What’s your favorite time of the year in New Mexico? The smell of roasted green chile in the crisp air makes the fall one of my favorite seasons in Nuevo Mexico.
- What is a skill you’d like to learn? I would love to learn cinematography.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present or future, what would it be? Witnessing people travel to Mars.
- Where’s Waldo? On mute!