Denise Nava Wyrick
Senior Communications and Marketing Manager
Native New Mexican and home grown in the small town of Silver City, Denise Nava joined the Albuquerque Community Foundation in 2014. Before entering the nonprofit arena professionally, Denise earned her Bachelor of Arts at New Mexico State University. In 2014, she earned her Master of Public Administration in Human Resources and Nonprofit Administration at the University of New Mexico.
Now in her role at the Foundation, Denise has revamped the Student Aid program with one-on-one communication for students and parents as well as promotion of scholarships at local high schools. Also, by bringing her expertise in social media and internet marketing to the Foundation, Denise has increased the organization’s social media presence and engagement with the local community. Underneath the umbrella of Philanthropic Services, Denise also assists in major Foundation events and community outreach with her teammates.
- Red or green? Red for everything except for hamburgers. Always green for hamburgers.
- Mountain or River? Mountains, specifically in the Gila Forest.
- Comedy Club or Dance Club? Dance Club
- Hometown: Silver City
- High School Mascot: Colts
- If you could have lunch with anyone alive or dead, who would it be? Barrack Obama, alive. My Grandpa Gene, passed away.
- If you didn’t work for the Foundation, where would you work? the Skimm, online newsletter based in New York or a writer for Vanity Fair.
- Name three songs you would include on your soundtrack of life: Cosmic Love by Florence + the Machine, Tighten Up by the Black Keys, Suavecito by Malo.
- What’s your favorite time of the year in New Mexico? Fall, pumpkin spice everything.
- What is a skill you’d like to learn? Professional Tap Dancer
- If you could witness any event of the past, present or future, what would it be? Swan Lake performed by Misty Copeland.
- Where’s Waldo? Looking for Carmen Sandiego, she’s somewhere in the world.